A Pearl Within its Oyster
When we began the design process, my client said of the bath of which she dreamed, ‘I want to feel like a pearl within its oyster’. Keeping my client’s vision and her lyrical description in mind, I created a soothing retreat, using rich materials, a monochromatic color pallet and adjustable lighting which she could dim to her liking.
Steam and inadequate ventilation had damaged the surfaces of the original bathroom. The solution to the moisture issue was to clad the new bathroom with marble and glass tile: non-porous surfaces that are moisture friendly. Silicone-based grout with a built-in anti-microbial agent prevents mildew and discoloration. Nickel faucets are a crowning, elegant touch and are easy to maintain.
A frameless tub and shower enclosure keeps the room uncluttered and spacious with an unobstructed view of the tub area and enclosing the original cast iron tub with a marble-clad deck creates the feeling of a sunken alcove.
Here, the client can escape, relax and dream … like ‘a pearl within its oyster’ …
This is an Aging In Place project with comfort features such as:
- bright light fixtures with halogen bulbs
- a Washlet accessory for the toilet with warm water for washing, warm air for drying, a heated seat, air deodorizer plus, a convenient remote control with an easy-to-read LCD panel
- grab bars in the tub area, with a pretty nickel finish
- adjustable hand shower which accommodates a bather who is either standing or sitting
- thermostatically controlled shower valve with anti-scald feature